Four Years of KASTAMONU in Russia

27 september 2018

Four years ago, on September 24, 2014, Europe’s largest wood processing production located under one roof was opened in the Alabuga SEZ (Tatarstan). The plant was opened by the President of the Republic of Tatarstan Rustam Minnikhanov, Deputy Minister of Trade and Industry of Russia Georgy Kalamanov, Minister of Forestry and Water Resources of the Republic of Turkey Veisel Er Oglu.

"Today we are opening a modern wood processing enterprise that will produce products that are in demand in the domestic and foreign markets," noted Rustam Minnikhanov during the official ceremony in 2014. "The KASTAMONU enterprise creates jobs, added value and most importantly it is a consumer of Tatarstan forestry products."

To date, the company has reached the designed capacity of 1 million m³ of MDF boards and 35 million m² of laminate per year. More than 800 new jobs were created directly in the production, and more than 2,500 in related and service industries. The total amount of company's investments in the construction of two stages of the plant is € 400 million. According to this indicator, Kastamonu is the second resident of the Alabuga SEZ in terms of total investments and the largest Turkish investor in Tatarstan.

"During this period Kastamonu has confidently occupied a significant place in the market," said Ali Kılıç, General Director of Kastamonu in Russia. "The company's production volumes are constantly growing, while the company's specialists are developing the product line, taking into account modern trends and consumer demand environment."

Most of the products from the KASTAMONU plant - about 60% - are sold in Russia. The remaining 40% are exported to more than 20 countries in Asia and Europe.

Currently, KASTAMONU is the leader in the export of laminate among all Russian manufacturers.

KASTAMONU received the award of the Russian Union of Industrialists and Entrepreneurs as the Best Import Substitution Project.

Today, the management company of the furniture cluster, which anchor enterprise is Kastamonu, was established in Naberezhnyye Chelny with the support of the President of the Republic of Tatarstan based on the Association of Furniture and Wood-Processing Industries.

The arrival of KASTAMONU also resulted in the intensification of reforestation works, as the company uses unmerchantable wood in the production and works only with the FSC-certified suppliers. This means that they carry out not only logging, but also reforestation works on a comparable scale.

KASTAMONU actively cooperates with FSC and WWF Russia, supporting and initiating environmental projects under the auspices of the world's leading environmental organizations. The company has repeatedly received awards and letters of appreciation from the World Wildlife Fund for this work, while in 2016 and 2017 it won the GoodWood environmental rating initiated by the Forest Stewardship Council.

Due to the careful attitude to the cleanliness of the environment, the plant received an award in the Eco-Leader 2014 contest among the enterprises of forestry and wood-processing industry. In 2015, KASTAMONU, carrying out its activities in full compliance with the norms of the European Union and Turkish Standards Institute (TSE), won the Russia's Quality Leader-2015 contest. In addition, the laminate flooring produced by KASTAMONU has become the winner of the All-Russian quality contest Russia's 100 Best Goods in 2016 and 2017.